Monday, October 15, 2007
  Are we the condemned?
I watched a rather disturbing movie last week that I haven’t been able to forget. The film was called “The Condemned.” Yes, the one starring Stone Cold Steve Austin. (Read the synopsis .)

The film resembles the Japanese “Batoru Rowaiaru” (Battle Royale) directed by Kinji Fukasaku released seven years prior in 2000. Violence is often associated with Fukasaku films and other famed Asian directors.

American directors try desperately to imitate Asian cinema and its often violent nature. Take “Kill Bill” for example – Quentin Tarantino did an incredible job of introducing serious violence to Americans. “The Condemned” accomplished the same effect for the most part.

The film is gory and morally corrupt. People around the world use their computers to view a death match, which is broadcast live over the Internet. And the worst part is – they pay for it. They pay to watch people torture one another; they pay to watch people kill; they pay to watch people die. And at the end of the day they justify it because everyone (involuntarily) playing the game is a condemned to death criminal.

At the end of the film a reporter poses the question “Are we the condemned?”

This phrase resonated in my mind for hours Thursday night. Are we really that intrigued by violence? Would you pay to watch someone die? Better yet, had you been given the opportunity to watch Saddam Hussein hanged last December, would you have taken it?

I know I wouldn't.

I know people are naturally curious but give me a break. I’m not fond of violence. However, the occasional scary movie doesn’t bother me. It’s when I see the blood and the gore that I get truly sick to my stomach.

“The Condemned” not only made me sick, but it made me pity the human race as a whole.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]