Sunday, October 14, 2007
  Violence on TV doesn't compare to real life!
I’m a guy and like most other males I do watch a lot of violent content on T.V. However, no matter how many dead bodies I see on TV, I don’t think it compares to real life. I really don’t think watching someone die on a TV show or movie will desensitize me from real world violence. For example, if I’m watching an action movie with two guys fighting and one of the guys gets their arm snapped in half, seeing that on TV really isn’t that big of a deal because I know it’s fake. Now when my friend suffered a compound fracture in his arm about three years ago, it was totally different than seeing one on TV. I mean seeing my friends bone protrude from his arm was one of the sickest things I’ve ever seen. I don’t think any action movie could have prepared me for that. I just think that if people can distinguish between reality and fantasy that they will not succumb to desensitization.

I could sit down and watch violent TV shows or movies all day, and they would never make more accepting to real world violence. I don’t know, maybe it was they way I was raised. I remember the first rated R movie that I ever watched was Rambo when I was about four years old. My parents drilled it into my head that what I was watching wasn’t real. Besides, people watch violent stuff on TV all the time, if people were desensitized wouldn’t most of them be okay with violence?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]