Friday, October 12, 2007
  Media Ethics and Agenda Setting...are they actually the same thing?
Last week I read the chapter on agenda setting, to be perfectly honest I found it rather interesting, in the fact that I saw a lot of my research paper source information fall within the concepts of agenda setting.

But then last Wednesday, I attended a Media Ethics lecture, with CNN's Frank Sesno. Although, he was discussing the constant daily struggles journalist, reporters and producers go through in deciding what to cover or ignore, before anything hits the airwaves or goes to print; all I could think about was how much this sounded like agenda setting.

I am sure the media does not intend to ignore or not cover certain topics because they do not feel like it...because that would just be unethical. But rather it seems that in attempting to make ethical decisions on what to report and what not to report, they inadvertently set the agenda for what the public or audience sees, hears, and/ or reads.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]