Sunday, October 7, 2007
  Take Abilify-- but you might die.
Usually when the ads for prescription drugs come on TV, I zone out. But the ridiculousness of one such ad managed to hold my attention, and keep me thinking about it for days to come. The ad is for “Abilify”—a treatment for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. The ad draws me in with its relaxing music and peaceful, serene surroundings while the it briefly (in about 4 seconds) explains the benefits of taking Abilify. These four seconds end abruptly as the narrators voice quickens to explain the negative side effects of using Abilify. I am shocked to hear the words “coma, death, seizure, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, problems swallowing, and problems with vision, speech or balance.” And just when I think its over, the narrator takes a breath and continues. “Be sure to report any unusual twitches or movements of the face as these may become permanent.”

Don’t worry guys… my bipolar symptoms are taken care of, but now I have a pretty bad case of Tourette’s and I can’t really see, stand or breathe like I used to.

I have never personally been diagnosed with any illness that warrants me to take these types of drugs advertised on TV, so I cannot speak to the urgency that some might have in taking them. However, I cannot help but question the agenda that is being set for the consumers of these ads. Are we really being told that the importance of eliminating the symptoms of bipolar disorder outweighs our right to not have seizures or unwanted twitching movements in our face? Are these ads taking advantage of people who may be in such a desperate situation for some kind of remedy, that their priorities are being shifted by the power of the media?
 
Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
It's always the long list of side effects that I have an issue with. They say "this drug may cause blindness, numbness, and or death, but results may vary!" As if to say that it's still ok to take. Sometimes the side effects seem to be worse than the symptoms you have before you take the drug.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]