Friday, October 5, 2007
  Long Lasting Reality TV Shows
I just finished watching the premiere of the 9th season of America's Next Top Model. I kept thinking how amazing that the show has lasted that long. I can understand why though.

First of all, it's inspiring for a lot of girls in America. Tyra Banks is a dynamic role model for thousands of girls. She uses her celebrity to empower women, and to take away the typical stereotypes set in society presently. Not many celebrities do that.

Secondly, it's a huge dream of a lot of girls to become a famous model. With this show, all you have to do is show up to the audition and stand out from the crowd. I don't think making tons of money is the big attraction here, I think it's the fact of being famous and doing something that is "fun".

I have watched the show since the second season, and will continue watching it until it is done. I haven't wanted to try out for the show of course, I just think it's interesting to see how surprisingly hard it is to become a good model. And another reason is that I think I can say that I greatly respect Tyra as well.
 
Comments:
Critics of shows like these claim that this type of inspiration can be harmful, since only a select few have the potential to model or act.

Do you see other benefits to the inspiration you cite?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]