Tuesday, October 2, 2007
  My Escape
This may sound typical, assuming that almost everyone can relate, but I've recently been using TV as an escape from the world. Since I transferred to SMU my life has drastically changed. I already worked a full time job for two years before I transferred, so piling all of that on was not easy. Now that I am in the "swing of things", I sigh a breath of relief every time I realize I will get to watch TV when I get home.
You see there aren’t very many moments I can do that. I have to allot specific times for everything I need to do. It already feels like I'm a professional with a constant assistant telling me I'm late for a meeting, The maybe one time I get to lay on my bed and choose whatever I want to fill my head with on TV is amazing.
Ya ya, I know I should be spending my free time doing something more productive. It doesn't help that not one of multiple shows I record are anywhere near educating. But I feel as if I spend almost every other second worrying about how I'm spending my time, or how well I'm using it. This gets exhausting. So, TV is my ultimate escape.
I really never thought I would say that, seeing as it's kind of a common conception that people who watch a lot of TV don't really have social lives. Of course I do have one (look at me, getting all defensive), but I manage to fit TV in it.
Judge me if you want.
 
Comments:
I think you'll find that most Americans fit television into their social lives for a variety of reasons (surveillance, entertainment and many also use it for escapism).

Do you think we use this medium more than others for escape? Why?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]