Sunday, September 30, 2007
  Tyra Banks sends a good message
I never thought I'd say this, but... Tyra Banks finally got me thinking. I know she's trying to change the world and all, but before Wednesday I was pretty convinced the woman takes crazy pills.

On this week's episode of America's Next Top Model the contestants did a before and after photoshoot of people who smoke. First the girls shot pictures looking young and sexy with a cigarette in hand and then they shot pics with various side effects that smoking causes. Lets just say the results weren't pretty.

I've always considered myself a very healthy girl- I workout almost every day, eat organic foods, choose the stairs over elevators...blah blah blah, but seeing this episode made me realize what a waste that is if I continue to smoke. I may be in great shape now, but 20 years down the road I'm going to look like a wornout hag. And not just that- I'm increasing my risks of getting cancer.

Both my parents battled cancer last year and it's not something I ever want to go through. They're okay now- healthy and happy- but they're lucky... the doctor's found the cancer very early on. It's so dumb for me to think that 'it's just another another cigarette' when cancer runs in my family. I'm not saying I'm going to quit this instant (i've tried, but it's harder than you think), but I know it has to stop.

So thank you Tyra- I guess even the typically vain shows like America's Next Top Model are good for somethin.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]