Friday, September 28, 2007
  Diffusion
I've been thinking about the diffusion theory we talked about in class, and it lead me to think about movies. It's crazy how one person can see a movie, tell two friends how good it was, and just by that those two people will go see it. I'm not saying that everyone chooses what they do based on others' opinions, but I judge my movies like that. For some reason, I very rarely see movies in the theater. It may be that I'm too cheap to risk paying for something that I hated, or just that there isn't many movies worth paying $8 to see. Either way, without even realizing it I base what movies I see on my friends' opinions. Of course there are some movies that I'll see no matter, but those are few and far between.

This seems to happen across the board. Everyone practices diffusion in some way or another. There are those groups that are willing to stand in line for a few hours to see a movie on opening night. There are also the people that will wait for the publics' opinion before seeing a movie. And then there are the extreme laggers, that no matter what they hear they aren't going to see it! Diffusion can come in many different forms it seems.
 
Comments:
Good post. And you are seeing why diffusion theory made people think about the diffusion of ideas.

The adoption of ideas does move more swiftly than technology (there's less investment), but the relationships often appear to work the same.

Good observations.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]