Sunday, September 23, 2007
  Dirty Dtown nothing new
I was standing in line at Central Market the other day when I got an email about the Dirty Dtown site, warning us to make our facebook profiles private and take off any pictures we wouldn't want potentially posted for the world to see.

This was the first I had heard of the Web site, so I clicked on the link to see what it was about. I scrolled through a couple of the pictures and recognized a few faces, but I didn't really think much of the site except that it was kind of funny and that the creator must have a lotttt of spare time.

Apparently Dirty Dtown has gotten a lot of hits, so I guess it's drawn some attention, but my guess is that most people just go to the site for a quick laugh if they're bored and then go on to something else without really thinking much of it. I think our generation is so used to this kind of "entertainment" that it doesn't faze us. I don't think any of us would be shocked by any of those pictures or that we would pass any judgment on the people in them; we see stuff like that every day on TV, in magazines, on facebook and on celebrity blogs like PerezHilton.com and we have probably seen enough unflattering pictures of ourselves to know that the camera does not always capture our best moments.

Of course I can see why it would be embarrassing to see a picture of yourself on the site, especially when it's accompanied by a rude caption, but if you consider the audience, you can take it with a grain of salt. It's not a big deal; we've seen worse and we're pretty used to it by now.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]