Sunday, September 23, 2007
  Privacy in Dirty D
Obviously, Dirty DTown has got us all talking, like it was intended to do. I'm not thrilled with the site and sincerely hope that I don't see myself or anyone else I know up there anytime soon, but obviously its creators (who have paid an extra fee in order to remain anonymous on the WHOIS database - I checked!) have succeeded.

Having said that, thinking more and more about the site made me think of another issues that comes up all too often in the discussion of media - privacy.

Is it really fair for us to assume that everything we post on Facebook will be used in good faith? Looking to the past, it's becomes apparent that we can't. Even Miss New Jersey has been affected by playful Facebook photos that were misconstrued to mean something else.

Of course, having said all that, I don't condone Dirty DTown or its creator, but rather I think it is a message to us all that your "friends" and your "privacy" may not be what you think.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]