Wednesday, September 19, 2007
  Lousiana Case
This morning I heard about the trials occurring presently in Lousiana against 6 black high school students. They are all being tried for attempted murder, even though the situation was just a regular fight with a white student that ended up with only a concussion. The fight was a reaction to some white students who hung nooses up on a tree that is known to be the "white social hangout" of the school. The principal considered suspending the whtie students who hung the nooses, but shortly after concluded that it was a simple prank. Here's the worst part of it, the black students involved in the fight were instantly expelled when their names were announced.


Have we really stayed in this same realm of thinking, where color means practically everything? I would have thought with Obama running for president and actually having a great chance of winning, that America had moved up a step in achieving racial equality. But this to me, takes us 3 steps back. This makes me ashamed to be from the South, and I love Texas (so that's hard to admit). Thank God I have parents that raised me to not think this way! I don't know how I would live day to day being that hateful towards any human being.

Going back to Obama, I am wondering now if he will have any comment on this case. It's hard for him to say a lot, seeing as everything he says right now can have a huge impact on the race ahead. I would love to know what he would truly want to say, or any black leader for that matter. I am going to follow this story closely, to see what comes of it.
 
Comments:
I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the coverage by different media outlets.

There's been some outrage on how different personalities on the Fox News channel have addressed this story, and I was wondering if anyone's been watching different sources for comparison's sake.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]