Sunday, September 16, 2007
  Media moments--Britney's performance
I loved Britney Spears. I thought that although she wasn't the best singer in the world, she knew how to put on a show. When she danced and lip-synched, everyone--like her or not--snapped to attention. Even if people didn't like her "work," they liked her drama.

Earlier this week she performed, or shall I say under-performed, at the MTV Video Music Awards. My friends and I missed the initial broadcast due to a scheduling conflict. Immediately after Britney's performance aired on TV, my mom left me a voicemail ordering me to go watch it as soon as possible, calling Britney's spectacle terrible and embarrassing. In her minute-long panic-stiken message, she cited the pop star grabbing a male dancer's crotch and fumbling across the stage in an ill-fitting sparkly bra and panties. My mom's closing line was, "Claire, because of this she's going to lose those kids!" (On a side note, Sean Preston is my mother's favorite celebrity baby.)

Hearing this, I logged onto http://www.mtv.com/ and watched Britney's disastrous array. Kind of like a car accident, it hurt to watch but I couldn't look away. What was going on?! She half-heartedly walked around the stage as the background dancers attempted to distract the viewers from her very apparent lack of enthusiasm. She even forgot to lip-sync about half the song; it was as if she didn't even know the words. Cameras shot to celebrities like 50 cent and P. Diddy who sat in shock, gold pinky rings in the air. Rihanna, the singer of the hit "Umbrella," was laughing hysterically.

The world didn't know what happened. Our favorite pop princess failed us, and her terrible performance is likely her last. No matter how many singles she puts out after this, the old Britney is gone forever.

When I first heard she was going to perform at the VMAs, I was recklessly excited. I, along with all of her fans, expected a classic Britney performance --think of the sparkly flesh-toned leotard show-stopper or the jungle outfit with the snake around her shoulders--and she did not remotely deliver.

Since then, MTV has been accused of exploiting an unstable young woman in the name of ratings. Regardless of who is to blame for the disaster, the damage has been done. Britney's career is most likely over due to those few minutes on the VMA stage.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]