Friday, September 14, 2007
  Communication and its' power
I know it's an obvious thought to think just how much of an effect communication has on the world. But it's baffling to me how one cell phone conversation can change everything. I literally just got off the phone with a close friend whose mother just died unexpectedly yesterday. As I was listening to her tell me how hard things are right now and how her family is taking it, I sat there stunned. Tears welled up in my eyes, and it's not even my family! Without my cell phone, I would've never have learned this solemn news. It goes both ways too. Without her being able to call her friends for support, she probably would be worse off. She desperately needs our prayers and our vocal support right now, probably more than she ever has before.

Thinking of how important cell phones are makes me thankful for them. We take them for granted so often. But they could save our lives, or at the least get us out of an emergency! I know I'm sounding a bit dramatic, but it's so true! Think of how annoying or inconvenient it was to stop by a gas station to use a payphone in the past. Thank God we missed those years! The few times I have broken or lost my cell phone were hard times. Having to get used to calling whomever I needed to talk to before I left my house/work was excruciating. I don't know if I really have a point with this part other than how much help cell phones are to everyone I know, including myself. The world is a much better and prettier place with CIngular, AT&T, Sprint...
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]