Monday, September 17, 2007
  What do you mean no Internet for a week?
I’m certain I’m addicted to media; I can’t go five minutes without checking my e-mail. If I go an hour without receiving a single e-mail on my Blackberry I automatically assume it’s broken and start fooling with it.

So naturally I was disappointed when Time-Warner Cable told me I couldn’t have Internet until next week. The woman on the phone muttered something about services being back up and the next thing I knew I was on my “this is unacceptable speech.” It appears that in my Internet-addicted mind, not having immediate access to the Web means the world is coming to an end.

When I realized I was starting to sound like my hot-headed father I decided to apologize and accept the fact that, in the words of Mick Jagger, “you can’t always get what you want.”

Yes, I’m a little dramatic. However, ask anyone born after 1980 and he will tell you the same thing. The Internet has become such a staple of our everyday lives that living without it is unfathomable.

I spent last night in my new apartment unpacking box No. 100 and constantly using my Blackberry to check the scores of various baseball and football games of the day. Then I had a realization: “I’m pathetic.”

I immediately put down the phone and turned up the music; Never mind I was missing the Emmy’s (I’m not a big fan of award shows anyway).

I remember when my boyfriend first told me he didn’t have cable; I’m pretty sure my response was a series of Why questions: Why don’t you have cable? Why don’t you want cable? Why are you so strange?

Boyfriend claims he is too busy. I’m a busy person, but I have to be able to hear the news in the morning while I’m getting ready for work and eating breakfast. And then comes the cable television shows. The busy boy then explained to me that he wasn’t allowed to watch much T.V. growing up. Now it all made a little more sense.

I guess it all boils down to how much exposed you were to media throughout the course of your life. I still remember the day my Dad brought home our first computer … and every computer after that.

As a kid, from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed media surrounded me. In the morning the radio was on in the bathroom. The news was on in the kitchen. Dad made us listen to KMOX on the way to school (it was news radio in St. Louis). At school we learned how to move a turtle around on old-school Macintoshes using certain key codes. At dinner “Entertainment Tonight” was on and Dad was asking about our weekly assignment involving a single article from one of the following, a newspaper, Time Magazine or National Geographic.

I wonder what drove me to be such a consumer of media? Or better yet, who?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]