Sunday, September 16, 2007
  Celebs are human too
So I'm sitting here watching the Emmys and a preview for Fox News comes on... flashing across the screen is a replay of Britney Spears's performance at the VMAs and the headline "Are celebrities to blame for the moral downfall of America?" My initial reaction is yes- I think celebrities have a huge impact on Americans and the moral choices we make. We see Britney struttin’ her stuff across stage in a bra and panties and think “hey, that’s hot.” We see underage stars getting drunk in clubs and think “maybe I should get a fake I.D.” Americans imitate celebrities because we’re celebrity-obsessed. We imitate their style, we imitate their looks, and we imitate their behavior.

But the more and more I think about it, I wonder…is this really fair? The media wants to blame celebrities for negatively influencing young girls and boys, but in actuality, most of them are young and immature themselves. I can’t imagine being in their position- a role model for millions of children everywhere. Being in the spotlight like that would drive me crazy. I think people need to realize that celebrities are human too. They live and they learn just like we do.

I’m the first to admit that I’ve made many mistakes in my college career. I know I’ll look back on pictures ten years from now and think “what the HELL was I thinking?!” But as of right now, I’m doing what I want to do. I’m having fun and I don’t care what other people think. It’s fun to poke fun at Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton for dancing on tables and wearing ridiculous clothing, but how many times have I done that myself? Let them be young. Let them mess up. That’s what young people do!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]