Sunday, September 16, 2007
  Wow, Media does effect
So the purpose of this blog was to discover and be conscience of how the media affects my life on the day-to-day, and boy it really does effect.

Recently, the VMA's were aired and there was huge hype about Britney Spears comeback performance. Everyone I know watched or attempted to watch the performance. To sit in front of the television on that Sunday night to see this was crucial. I rearranged my entire day to make sure I saw the performance. To my dismay the performance was like a dagger in my heart...Was this a joke?? What just happened? After the performance I immediately turned to Perezhilton.com to see if he had written anything about it...and lo and behold there it was. The performance was already online and Perez had written a long letter to Britney we could all read. That performance affected a lot of people that day.

Continuing on my attempt to see how media effects my life came September 11th. I can honestly say I spent a good hour or hour and a half on YOUTUBE watching footage from that day. I wanted to remember that place I was in on that day. It was devastating, but a good way to remember and mourn for those that were effected. It was nice to be able to have a chance to look back on such a historical event and see the footage that occurred on that day. We were never able to do stuff like that ten years ago. I was so sad after watching that footage. This type of media effected me so much.

Another way media effected me last week was when I took a gander at my credit card statement...Who spends $50 on ITUNES in a day? Well, apparently I did. After watching the VMA's I guess I decided to purchase all the new songs I had heard. It did make a dent in my wallet, but I love music and it is such an awesome way to get the music you want quickly. I love not having to leave my house to try and find this ONE song that I don’t even know the author to. I also realized that ITUNES makes it a little too easy for people to buy songs...they are banking on this idea. Good for them.

I then looked all around me, why do I hold my cell phone in my hand for 80% of the day? I am relying so much on media...be it television programs, internet, or cell phones...everything is so easy to use, but are we dependant now upon media? Yes, I believe we are.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]