Thursday, September 20, 2007
  It's all fun and games... till you're the butt of the joke
I have always had a somewhat disturbing obsession with “celebrity-bashing” websites. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure. It was all fun and games… until the website came to Dallas. I was browsing the Internet about five minutes ago (indulging in my guilty celebrity-bashing pleasure) when I came across a picture of yours truly.

Of course it’s one of those unflattering pictures—the kind that is taken at the point in the evening when you can’t remember how many glasses of wine you’ve had. And on top of that, the evil blogger rubbed some salt into my wound by writing a humiliating caption to accompany the unflattering picture. Side note: I have to mention the caption was not at all witty or clever. I could have written something much better myself… if only they had asked me.

It’s okay though; I can take a joke. Luckily, the picture posted of me isn’t one that will require years of therapy to un-do the damage. But not everyone can be so fortunate. Calling someone “retarded” or “gay” is something that is bound to hit home for more than a few people. Many people may already be struggling with these issues, and having them posted on the Internet for all to see could really destroy a person.

The creator of this website may think it is just satire, but making hurtful comments about someone they don’t know is a dangerous game to play. And I don’t want to play anymore.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]