Sunday, September 23, 2007
  Beware little dallasites! Dirtydtown.com may be after you
So I get a call from my friend the other day and she's freaking out.

"Oh my God, Tay... Someone is stealing your pics off facebook and posting them on this horrible website!"

I know straight away what she's referring to. "You mean DirtyDTown?" I ask, calmly.

"Ya! So you know about it?!" she replies.

Of course I know about it. I wake up to DirtyDTown every morning. My roommate calls me from her bedroom ranting about the newest pics this douche has posted from the night before- many featuring my close friends or people I know. But I must admit, this guy (or girl) is pretty clever... its been two weeks since the website was created and it already has over 500,000 hits. Not bad if you ask me. Come to think of it- I'm actually bummed I didn't come up with it myself.

Basically the concept is this: the blogger takes pics from random people's facebook (or myspace) and reposts them on his site with some kind of witty caption that is meant to poke fun at the Dallas college and social scene.

In the "About DirtyDTown.com" link, a staffer writes:

"DirtyDtown is all about fun and satire. Nothing about DirtyDtown should be taken too seriously as much of this website contains rumors, speculation, and opinions. This site was created for the people of Dallas to have a fun place to go and laugh about the college and social scene. If you cannot laugh and take this site as a joke then I strongly suggest that you click the X in the upper right hand corner. Otherwise, we hope you have fun and enjoy our site! We post new pictures all the time, so be sure to check back daily...you never know when you or a close friend could be the next laughing stock of DirtyDtown.com! :)"

Based on that, I have no problem with the website. But much of what DirtyDTown writes is not "fun" nor "satire". Under one picture, for example, DirtyDTown writes "Attention Dallas Surgeons... Please help out our friend here with a nose job, and some lip
injections. Also, if you could take some of her friend's chest hair and put it on his head that would be great!"

If this guy were to diss like that on a celebrity, I might laugh and let it slide. But this poor girl (and guy) are leading private lives and never asked to be put in the spotlight. She's probably trying to get a hold of a surgeon right now! I know if the pic were of me, I'd be making a few phone calls.

The point is- hands together for the idea. Dallas peeps can't get enough of it. But in the future I hope they tone it down a notch. If the website is supposed to be funny, make it funny. Not ugly.

Labels:

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]