Thursday, September 20, 2007
  Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
I just recently received the newest John Mayer cd (Continuum) from a friend. I have known a plethora of the songs on the album for a while, but had never gotten around to buying. I even saw him in concert a few months ago, and still I didn't get the initiative to go out and buy his cd! Anyways, it's amazing. Amazing doesn't even do it justice. I have listened to it at least twice daily since I got it on Sunday. It takes me out of my world, and lets me purely relax for a moment. There's one song in particular that really relaxes me. It's number 8, "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room".

My aunt, whom I am relatively close to for an aunt, is in love with John Mayer. She has a great taste in music, which is surprising to me. It shouldn't be, seeing as she was a full-blown hippie in the days when there were hippies. This meaning that I have come to the conclusion that most "hippies" have fantastic taste in music. Back to my point though, this song I am talking about is her favorite on the album. I can't help but think of her every time I hear it. As I arrived at his show, she called me and asked if I could call her when he played it so she could hear him live. That moment when I called her as he played it was one of the closest moments I have ever shared with her, and we weren't even in the same place!

It's amazing how one song can do that for me. I love it. I guess that's one of the main reasons why I Iove music so much. It can always take me to a past memory of a person or an event.
 
Comments:
Great post.

But hippies were ALL ABOUT the music. Woodstock was formed around music performances, right?

Most former hippies I know are extremely credible when it comes to music selection.

And what you're considering in the song is the power of culture (and therefore media). Sharing meaning and significance through expressions.

THIS is why when we talk about cultural production (and the "culture wars" underway between old media and new media) we need to remember that it's not money that we should be focusing on: it's the meaning in our culture.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]