Saturday, September 29, 2007
  Borat = "Great Success!"
I think the movie Borat may be the most excellent example of Diffusion Theory from my generation. I was one of the late majority to see the movie. I admit I was skeptical about it at first. I thought it looked stupid and like every other movie in theaters geared toward attracting college students with its borderline inappropriate plot and comments.

However, the peer pressure eventually got to me. My friends were constantly making references to "sexytime," "King of the Castle, King of the Castle," and saying "very nice" in response to EVERYTHING. I finally got sick of looking at them with blank stares everytime they made a "Boratism" (a signature Borat phrase). Even my mom and dad had seen it...obviously I was so uncool and desperately out of the loop.

My boyfriend and I rented it (yes, we waited untill it came out on video) and watched it on the plane ride home. When we came back we were prepared to finally understand all of the Borat references, but apparently we jumped on board too late because people were pretty much over Borat. Occasionally one of my friends will say, "Nice...nice, I like." but by now they have mainly moved on to newer and better things. I guess next time I will know to adopt an innovation earlier.
 
Comments:
The concepts here are sound, but only on a micro-scale. Remember that innovations actually take 30 years, or a human generation, to diffuse.

Exposure is just the beginning. If an IDEA in Borat represents a dramatic shift in American philosophy, it will probably represent a generational change in thinking that will take a few decades (in other words, many movies before and after will likely contribute to the diffusion of the idea).

But I do like your example.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]