Monday, October 1, 2007
  Flaming with the Stars
I know I know, this is going to be difficult to admit but I watched "Dancing With the Stars" tonight. I guess it was all that discussion during class (or maybe I just wanted to know what interested Rick's mom so much).Actually, I think it had more to do with coming home and feeling "conditioned" to have something on while I ate my dinner.

I am glad I stayed tuned though, because I witnessed a moment on television that was very rare and probably wouldn't have happened 20-10 or 5 years ago. Co-host Drew Lachey told one of the studliest guys (Cameron Mathison) that "his hips looked really good." (Lachey did mention - "I know this may seem awkward"). Mathison was very quick to the punch and asked Lachey, "What are you doing afterwards?"

I considered that to be a defining moment in television history; two studly men flirting with one another knowing that 20 million people were watching them (and the majority of the audience is older viewers). This moment reflects how television projects the times, culture and socity that surrounds us. I couldn't help but think how "Joe in Idaho, Montana or Kansas" would get a kick out of that, is it possible that light-hearted moments as those could encourage tolerance?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]