Sunday, October 7, 2007
  So Many Drugs, So Little Time!
I’ve been sitting here watching TV for a while and I’ve started to notice something. There are a lot of drug commercials on TV. I started to think about the whole gratification seeking model and the example in the book about asthma. I never realized how many drug commercials are shown on TV. During commercial breaks, one out of every five commercial breaks was advertising some kind of drug. So it got me thinking that these commercials wouldn’t even be airing if people weren’t seeking some sort of gratification by viewing these commercials. They watch them, see what they’re for and go out and buy them. Now I know that’s the point of an advertisement, but it just seems to me that they have a drug for everything. Who knows, maybe someday they’ll have a commercial that says “do you sleep a lot at night, if so, this drug is for you,” and then they’ll have a list of 15 side effects that may occur once you take it. I know that example is a little bit extreme but you get the point!
 
Comments:
And these commercials have a direct effect. Consider why these ads began cropping up (only about 10 years ago): patients suddenly had more market power than doctors when it comes to acquiring drugs. So, drug companies began to hock their wares to the consumer instead of to doctors.

Think about the potential effects of that shift ...
 
haha I wrote about the same thing! I didn't read yours until just now though!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]