Saturday, October 6, 2007
  TV Saves My Sanity
This is the time in the semester where I always curl up in bed with every unhealthy food item available, have a mild panic attack, and scream "AHHHHH...this is officially the worst week ever! I'm never going to survive it!" I know, I can be a little dramatic, but whatever.

I deserve to be a little stressed out. I have over 300 pages of reading, three papers due, a presentation to make, a community needs assessment to create with the most worthless groupmates imaginable, a puppy to take care of, a boyfriend who just broke his right elbow and has to have surgery, and I have a broken foot myself. It is no wonder my friends leave me Facebook messages like, "I miss you!" "Where are you?" and "Are you even alive?"

It is UT/OU weekend. For the last four years I have exercised a strict routine for this weekend: I go to the Texas State Fair, go to the Cotton Bowl, and then go out and celebrate (regardless of Texas' win or loss) with my best friends. This year I am not doing any of those things, but instead I am hanging out at home trying to calm down just long enough to get my work done.

I spent Friday night in a state of panic asking myself how I would ever manage to get everything done. I knew I needed to relax, escape, and reduce some anxiety. I had to watch TV, just one Tivoed episode of Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane would help me relax.

After an hour of TV watching I felt cool, calm, and collected or at least as calm as I could with a to-do list of 25 items. I was no longer worried. I knew I would get everything done, I always did. I just needed to take a moment to escape and regain a sense of focus. And who said TV couldn't fix problems?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]