Sunday, October 7, 2007
  Just call me a "curious little rhino," everyone else does...
So I was thinking about what motivate people, me included to watch certain television programs. As far, I as I am concerned I do not think I watch what the majority of people my age or gender watch on TV, I could be wrong; but that is my perception.

It seems that most girls my age watch or watched: the Hills, Laguna Beach, the O.C., the Simple-Life, MTV’s Made, and Sweet 16….you get the picture. However, for some reason I never got into them, partially because I have a severe intolerance for stupid people and/ or the people and/ or characters more or less annoyed me; although I do watch Grey’s Anatomy, as do most girls my age. Instead, I watch Law and Order, Law and Order: Criminal Intent (CI) and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (SVU), along with any of the CSIs and occasionally Shark. I also love to watch the shows’ like Animal Planet, the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and the History Channel.

Therefore, I was wondering if the type of shows one watches has any relation the one’s upbringing, personality, and/ or background. I know when I was little I always played the “Why game,” is where you just “ask why,” after everything; this obviously really annoyed my parents. I still ask a lot of question, only now I warn people, and tell them to tell me if they become annoyed. I have always just thought of myself as a more curious person than most. So maybe my need to know “why,” is the reason I gravitate towards programs that are more educational, that would make me fall into the category of Gratification-Seeking and Audience-Activity model. But does everyone have a personality ‘quirk’ that leads him or her to be drawn to certain television programs?
 
Comments:
I love SUV Victims Law and Order. Such a great show and the cases never get old. I remember when Ice T came on the scene and I thought, "There's no way." Now I couldn't imagine the show without him. You might be surprised if you took a personality/career test; your definitely an analytical type, which is why you love CSI/Law and Order shows.
 
Yes.

Although, for many the personality quirk in question is simply the tendency to follow the crowd ...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]