Sunday, October 7, 2007
  Sunday morning: Baptized in the name of framing
Religion and politics are said NOT to go hand-in-hand. Yet as I watch my regular Sunday morning shows, "Meet the Press" and "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" and I overhear the regular religious Sunday morning programs of my parents (don't know the names); it's quite obvious that both have similar styles of framing and agenda setting.

I've been watching the Sunday morning political shows for years and right before any election the dialogue is the same: "America is looking for change;" "America's number one issue is to be safe and that 's why we need to be in Iraq;" "Every American citizen is searching for a candidate that will shoot straight with them."

As I watch these candidates and programs, I'm thinking, "Why are you speaking for me?" Because my number one issue, is not about being safe. Safe went out the door for me when we went to Iraq. (Pardon the rant)But I knew that once we entered Iraq, America would not be safe for a long time. (occupying) Iraq ensured us to be more of a terrorist target. Bottom line is, "Why are you speaking for me, because my number one issue is what are we doing for the American people in regards to economics and civil issues?"

From another television set, I hear a preacher saying, "If you love God then you must trust the leaders he has given us;" "God wants you to place men and women in government that will do the work of God." Now I'm thinking, "Why are you talking for God?" Because I have a strong belief in God, but I don't think God placed George Bush in office, nor do I believe that Dick Cheney is doing the work of God.

Every program operates with the notion of framing and agenda setting, regardless if they are programs that believe they are appointed of God to be on television. This morning I am wondering that if Jesus was on Earth today and was going to do a book tour for the Holy Bible, would part of his marketing agenda be crafting a cunning slogan and buy advertising time on the Internet, television and radio? Would he be on Rush Limbaugh talking about it? Would he have a MySpace or Facebook profile? Do you think that Oprah would help him have his own show?
 
Comments:
I attended a dedication ceremony for my infant niece this morning at an area church in Carrollton this morning.

The preacher said that he believed God probably DID have a few hundred MySpace profiles that were being used for blessed purposes.

Who we allow to frame reality for us definitely affects our perspective of the issues in question.

At the root of framing is authority, at the root of authority is power.

And we exert power as well, without knowing it.

Your discovering some fertile areas to dig around in.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]