Saturday, October 6, 2007
  Super Sweet 16
From looking at the past few blogs, it seems everyone is writing about how TV contributes to sanity. This semester I don't have cable, and I am going crazy from lack of trash TV. But now when I do get to watch it, it makes me wonder if I really need it after all.

I just watched an episode of My Super Sweet 16 online, and I have to admit there were some cringe-worthy moments. Though the featured girl from Ohio was not near as bratty as some of the show's kids in the past, she definitely had her moments--like demanding a Hummer and receiving it at a Rascal Flatts concert, in which she and her closest 10 or so friends attended VIP. The lead singer handed her the keys. When she was rattling off orders for party decorations, her dad finally asked, "Whatever happened to birthday cake?" The party favor was a risque calendar starring herself and her friends. Her mom asked her to show more bra at the photoshoot and acted completely miffed when her nearly-16-year-old refused.

MTV had a space for people to comment on the episode, and one girl said that watching the episode was like "watching her dream life."

While seeing the party unfold did take my mind off the 20 or so things I should be doing, it also made me realize I'm not missing too much on television right now. Seeing spoiled kids throw tantrum after tantrum can only be entertaining for so long.

Amusing? Yes. Humorous? Absolutely. But is it making me more sane? I doubt it. Do I really need cable? No. But do I love it nonetheless and feel its absence in my life every moment I'm home? You bet!
 
Comments:
So, do you think show has an effect on our society? It seemed like you were overturning rocks without dealing with what you found there ...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]