Wednesday, October 10, 2007
  Just being a "baby" or being and educated movie-watcher?
Recently I have had to walk out of two different movies while watching them in theaters. Normally I would never do this, simply because it's out of the way and difficult to have to walk past everyone in your row in the middle of the movie. But there was no way I was going to stay and waste time I could never get back on these horror films.

It wasn't the fact that I was too scared, just too disgusted. I don't and will never need bloody gore or over the top violence to enjoy a scary movie. But it seems that society craves it more and more now, to where I'm not going to get away from it that easily. Why is that?

You would think that we would become better or pickier movie critics over time. But with these types of movies thriving, I think not. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed 300. It amazed me.

I can clearly see the difference in these two types of movies though. The first set is simply there to scare and disgust the audience as best they can. That's it. The second group (300) is there to make an action movie in a different way; some say a more artistic way. I seem to think so. Plus, it was based on a true story. I can't say the same for most of the horror movies that come out. I wish that movies were moving towards the second group more than the first. But it doesn't seem likes that happening. If 300 was such a success (which it clearly was), why aren't there more movies duplicating that idea?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]