Tuesday, October 16, 2007
  "24" is not the problem...
Personally, I do not watch the Fox television show "24," but I know it is quite popular. However, I have a hard time reading articles like "US military tells Jack Bauer: Cut out the torture scenes...or else!," "Whatever It Takes," and "Does "24" encourage US interrogators to "torture" detainees?" without thinking do US army generals, experienced military and FBI interrogators, and human rights groups not have anything better to do then meet with "24's" creator and creative team?...because I think they do.

I cannot fathom "24's" torture scenes have an impact on troops. I'd be a little scared if my country was in the hands of individuals who are that easily influenced by a television show. The troops are trained to handle crisis situations and I hardly think an episode of "24" depicting acts of torture falls into that category.

"24" did not come up with the concept of torture on their own. The "Does "24" encourage US interrogators to "torture" detainees?" article states, "There have been more than 700 investigations carried out by the Army involving prisoner abuse..." So maybe human rights groups should focus on the Army and where "24" is getting the ideas for their torture material rather than try to police what is being aired on television.

Since I do not watch "24" I am not familiar with the graphic nature of the torture scenes involved in the show. However, I can imagine there are much more disturbing, graphic, and influential available on television, movies, on the Internet, and in newspapers and magazines (I'm not saying that makes it right). A prime example would be the Nick Berg beheading video available on the Internet.

The video is similar to "24" in the fact that it too is not without mixed feelings and controversy. I did not view the video, but regardless, I can safely say the video is undoubtedly more troublesome than any episode of "24." The Nick Berg video depicts reality, a real human being was abused and killed. I do not think the Army and human rights groups are in any position to criticize "24" until they can control things like the Nick Berg incident from happening. Until then I think they should focus on the real issue at hand instead of turning their attention to television shows.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]