Sunday, November 4, 2007
  Sexy Mamasitas
I realized from Stephanie's blog that "sexual content" is viewed and judged a lot more differently than "sexual visual images."

My mom loves to watch her telenovelas (they're the Spanish version of soap operas). If you are not too familiar with telenovelas; the distinct difference between the women on Spanish novelas and American soap operas is that the women on telenovelas show (and have) more cleavage than women in Miami and Los Angeles put together.

But, I'm confident that is NOT why my mom constantly watches them. I am surprised though that a "devout-Latin Catholic" woman, like my mom is a huge fan of telenovelas.

She tells me that it's because they are more dramatic and the story lines are a lot juicier than the American soap operas (Mamasita Herrera may be on to something).

What I've noticed with American television is that the dialogue has become edgier, a lot more risque. The other night I was watching Dirty, Sexy Money and there was this scene where a guy half-naked opens the door (just a towel wrapped around his waist). His soon-to-be ex-wife comes to visit him. She looks at him and gets all beside herself (a little flustered), she needs him to sign the divorce papers and she tells him, "I just need your John HanCOCK, I mean your signature on these papers." Yeah, you get what I'm saying....

I'm thinking "sexual content" seems to be the way to go for some of these producers, writers and directors. It might be their way of going against the restrictions of what can and can not be shown. Either way, I also think that everything gets sexed up. Just look at the recent e-mail we received about voting... didn't it say, "Voting is Sexy." I guess sexy will always be in... it's just how far we want to go!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]