Friday, October 26, 2007
  1-800-NoThanks!
It seems like every night around 1:00 or 2:00 a.m., no matter what channel I'm watching, a half naked woman shows up in an ad for some telephone dating service. These types of commercials always boggle my mind; Do guys actually think the girls sitting at home on a Saturday night using a telephone dating service really look like that?...or that they do so in lingerie?

The whole tone of these commercials is so cheesy it is almost comical. These ads don't even try to be artistic or tasteful; they just feed into the theory that sex sells. Some of these dating service ads are more explicit than others, but I generally find them offensive.

Yes, when they air it is after midnight and children are typically no longer watching television, but I AM! When did it become culturally acceptable to air such sexually suggestive commercials? I understand that people are concerned about childrens' exposure to such material, but what about mine? I don't care whether I am watching television with my parents, friends, or my boyfriend; these ads still make me uncomfortable. Not to sound like a prude, but I usually excuse myself for a bathroom or snack break when these ads come on television.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]