Sunday, October 21, 2007
  The appeal for the V word
This past Friday night I decided I needed to unwind from a hectic week. I turned on the TV and looked at the guide, pushed 05 on my remote and became transfixed by Las Vegas.

I was immediately drawn to the murder of a woman in a hotel room. I'm always amazed by the way murder is sensationalize and somewhat glamorized. Television and movies seem to know the right formula on how to heighten the thrill and create the effect that draws the audience in.

Well - you'd think I'd had enough of murder and violence, but oh no, I stay tuned for Law & Order: SUV . I guess I was on "murder & violence" mode. Two hours later, I turned the television off and realized that I was entertained by nothing but murder and violence. I couldn't help but get analytical about it... I'm sure it had to do with this class. But, as I thought about what I saw I couldn't help but think about a conversation I had with a producer at WFAA this past week.

She was telling me that she started as a news producer in San Antonio. She told me that every night on their news cast they had a gun related incident. I asked her why was that and she said it's what drives the news and keeps the ratings high.

I wonder what it is about our psyche that draws us to violence and murder. What is it that makes us so fascinated by it? It has to be something! Look at all the top shows that dominate the ratings: CSI: Miami / Las Vegas, Law & Order: Criminal Intent/SUV, 24, Prison Break and the list goes on.

Obviously, we are drawn to the V word and the V (violence) world.
BTW- there was a billboard for the Dallas Hockey team that said I go for the fight!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]