Thursday, October 18, 2007
  Cartoons
Recently I was at a friends' house, and I was sitting with her 8 year old autistic daughter. She was watching some old cartoons on TV. I began to watch them simply because I was bored and had nothing better to do. I quickly realized how violent they are!

I have heard people comment on how violent cartoons are and how they should try to change that, and I used to roll my eyes at them thinking they were overreacting. But now I see it. As a child, you're going to watch cartoons because that's what kids do. If the main ones you have the choice of watching are like these, it can definitely have an effect on you. Maybe not a noticeable one, but an effect none the less.

I tried to recall my reactions to cartoons as a child, and only remembered liking them and not at all noticing that they were violent. It shocked me to see my reaction now as opposed to then. I looked over at my friends' daughter and realized she was the same way. She watched them like any other show.

I would like to know how much of an effect they have. How could we study that? If there isn't one already, there should be a study done to see the effects. We have so many issues with teenagers being angry and shooting their peers, that maybe we should look at their beginning stages and their entertainment then. Am I wrong? I think I want to look into that, and see what results I come up with.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]