Sunday, October 21, 2007
  Was That Really Necessary?
What is going on with “horror” movies nowadays? I personally don’t get scared from movies but the movies now don’t even attempt to be somewhat scary. I think the model now is the more disgusting the movie the more frightening the movie. I just watched this movie called Touristas, and I was a little disturbed. Now, I’ve never had a problem with violence in movies, but this movie was just disgusting. Who in the world thought that it would be entertaining to watch a girl get her kidneys cut out when she’s still awake? This movie reminded me of a similar one called Hostel, which was basically about tourists being killed for the thrill of it. I don’t even now why I watched these movies. I guess I was just curious because I’d heard so much about them.

Now, I don’t think that gory movies like these are going to be the end of society, but it just seems like each movie tries to out do the other. I think there’s a Saw IV coming out in a month. I mean the growing fascination with these kinds of movies amazes me. These movies keep making money, so there’s obviously a demand for them. Maybe it’s the “that’s disgusting but I can’t look away” syndrome that keeps people coming back.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]