Sunday, December 2, 2007
  False Representation
Watching TV this week, I noticed a bunch of false representations. It’s no wonder that there are so many ignorant people. I don’t think I went an hour without seeing some kind of negative or false representation. For example, I think that minority representation is very much skewed. After watching some shows on BET or Black Entertainment Television, it’s no wonder as to where the stereotypes come from. Just about every show on that channel has some kind of stereotype in it. After watching this channel, it seems like in order to be considered black that you have to act like you’re from the “hood.” I’ve had more than enough bad experiences dealing with ignorant people who think I’m “confused” because I don’t act in the ways that black people are portrayed in the media. But I won’t go into that because these blog would end up being ten pages. Now I’m saying that I hate they every single show that plays off of stereotypes, because most of those shows are made for comedic purposes. I just think its sad how people that watch a lot of TV think that TV “accurately” portrays the ways that members of any ethnic group are supposed to act.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]