Sunday, November 11, 2007
  Scary.
My friend Katie's older sister made us watch Carrie one Halloween after trick-or-treating. I was in 4th grade and I remember feeling like I was going to throw up during the pig blood/prom scene, but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Being scared was fun.

In middle school my friends and I were obsessed with Silence of the Lambs. We watched it constantly. According to Ch. 13 in The Fundamentals of Media Effects, apparently we were just indulging our "sadistic pleasure by identifying with monsters and killers" and "purging" ourselves of our violent tendencies. Yikes. I don't know about that...I mean we were like 12.

I like older horror movies like Psycho, the original Halloween and The Shining. I think they've gotten progressively worse over the past decade. They're a little far fetched...and predictable. I recently saw Room 1408, where John Cusack tries to communicate with his wife via video-chat (come ON) but loses connection when his computer freezes over due to the fact that it is snowing in his hotel room because the thermostat is broken...oh, and then a painting of a ship suddenly turns real and his room turns into an ocean. Really?

But I will continue to go to bad horror movies because I love the suspense and the thrill of feeling scared before, during, and after the movie. I think that's what is so appealing about scary movies; people love to be really frightened by something they know is not actually real. Oh, and to purge themselves of violent tendencies, obviously.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]