Sunday, November 11, 2007
  I'm still scared...
I don't remember the name of the movie or when exactly I saw it, I think I was like eight or nine, but it was the most terrifying movie I have ever seen. The movie claimed to be a true story about these men who were working in the woods and came across an UFO. One of the men is abducted for a period of time, returned, and relives the memories from his abduction.

I still have nightmares about one scene in particular. The man who was abducted is terrified, hiding under his kitchen table, and some syrup starts to drip onto the floor. As the man watches the syrup drip, he is taken back to the graphic, disturbing, and realistic events of his alien encounter.

Now people can argue back and forth about whether or not life on other planets is possible, but regardless, I find a movie about alien abduction to be more disturbing than a movie about monsters because of the slight possibility and realistic factor. I know a giant ape is not going to take over the city, but do I really know alien life does not exist?

This movie produced a great deal of long-term fear for me. I know this sounds silly, but alien invasion could cause a lot of conflict. The aliens in this movie were shown with deformities and distorted from the normalises of human form--just like monsters in scary movies. I found them to be terrifying and I wasn't the one who was abducted, so naturally I felt a large amount of empathy for the main character. I felt like if he was that scared, I should be too and I guess it just kind of stayed with me.

*On a side note, when reading this please don't think I'm crazy and that I believe in aliens. I just think that the possibility of scary things is more disturbing than things like fictional things like monsters.

**EDIT: After a little time spent on Google, I think the movie was Fire in the Sky.
 
Comments:
I was just trying to find out the name of a movie that I had seen when I was in the second grade. All I can remember about the movie is a scene with a guy hiding under his table from aliens, and then maybe some sort of egg chamber on the spaceship like in The Matrix.

Knowing only this, I googled "alien abduction movie hiding under table" and found this post.

Thank you for helping me out on that.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]