Sunday, November 11, 2007
  The "fright" factor
This blog will have to be based on my past experiences of scary movies (and fear content).

In the last six months, I really haven't had any available time to go to the movies. But as I was reading Chapter 13 I kept thinking about the movie that scared me the most, When a Stranger Calls.

It takes a lot to scare the crap out of me, but this movie truly did it. And the incredible thing was that this movie didn't have any "hard-core gory" element to it. It was just intensely suspenseful and the dramatic effect of fright (if you will) was powerful.

The scariest part to the movie was a man calling the babysitter from inside the house. I remember a group of my friends and I went to see it. Right before I went to bed, my cousin calls me and he disguises his voice like the guy in the movie and says, "Did you check the children."

I had to sleep with my closet light on for several months because it was the last thing I thought of before I went to bed. It's amazing how we can place ourselves in those moments we observe in the movies.

I also did this with Silence of the Lambs. My roommate and I had locked ourselves out our apartment, but we were able to raise our garage door up enough for me to slide under. I immediately thought of that part in Silence of the Lambs when she slides under the garage door and finds a head in the car. When I past my roommates car I couldn't look inside.

Even though I get all "spooked up," I still love to go to the scariest movies. I call it the "jalapeno effect;" it burns like hell but I still dive in for more.
 
Comments:
I think it's the psychological movies that scare worse. They mess with your head! I am exactly like you! :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]