Sunday, November 11, 2007
  I hate clowns...

I seldom use the word "hate," I think it is a very strong word and should only be used in the strictest of scenarios, so I hate clowns! I never used to hate clowns, actually, when I was little I loved to go to the circus and see the clowns.
However, my love for the circus and for clowns quickly dissipated when I learned of the unspeakably horrible treatment of circus animals and saw the movie "It." I saw the movie in fifth grade, at a girl friend’s birthday slumber party. In hindsight, it probably was not a go idea to watch a Stephen King movie with a bunch of 11-year-old girls during a violent-thunderstorm, but we did.

It seemed that during every scary part of child killing-clown film coincided with a clash of thunder outside, followed by the crackle of lighting, or the tapping of the window by the hibiscus branches because of the wind. Nevertheless, to a 10 year-old a clown seeking out little children to kill and/or eat was not only violent but utterly terrifying.

I especially remember the part where "it," the clown is underneath a lake that some how connected to a large pipe...and just as one of children were looking into the water...it's bony, vine-like hand with talons suddenly pops out of the water and so does the birthday girl. She popped out from behind the Lazy-Boy and screamed just as the branch hit the window with the lighting illuminated the thin wiry branches and thunder clashing...

Ever since that slumber-party, I hate clowns! The majority of my fear towards clowns is probably due to the inclement weather that night...although, Stephen King did do a pretty good job of scaring the 'ba-jesus' out of me. To this day, every time I see a clown, I see "it" with his bony spider-like finger and thin, fang like teeth. I get the 'hebby-gebbies' just think about it...no pun intended.

 
Comments:
I hate clowns too. I still refuse to walk over drains because of that movie.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]