Saturday, December 1, 2007
  Toys and products catered by ethnicity and gender group
I was watching the Today Show the other day and saw a commercial for a "Hooked-on-Phonics" product. I think the product was called smart sticks; they looked a lot like hand-held video games (which is enticing in itself).

What I immediately noticed was that it had a Caucasian kid with his mother, and then it had a shot of an Asian kid with his mother. I thought this was a great marketing ploy by the advertising company.

My mom watches Univision. She loves to watch novelas (Spanish soap operas). The other day I was visiting with her and a commercial for WalMart came on. I couldn't help but find it amusing. The commercial gave the impression that everyone at Walmart (shoppers and employees) are Latinos.

I asked my mom if she ever noticed that there are white people that work and shop at Walmart (her response, "you're in America aren't you!" ha ha).

It's quite obvious that marketing and advertising firms know their demographics and cater to them. As I was watching Friday Nights they had a commercial for McDonald's with an all black cast. The demographics for this show are high in the African American community.

It's a lot like the demographics for a show like the View or the woman cable network Lifetime; every commercial break has a "diet type" advertisement.

My mom was telling me that when she was a little girl the commercials only had white people; there was no color, no Latinos no Blacks. She said the only time you saw a mexican or a black man was in the news.

Thank god time has changed and advertisers have become more diversified.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]