Saturday, December 1, 2007
  Cyberbullying at its best
With graduation approaching me at full speed I've been weighing my post-undergrad options. I've always had law school in the back of my mind. And recent events both personal and public have pushed it to the top tier of my list.

I've become incredibly frustrated with an event that took place over a year ago but just recently became public. A 13-year-old girl hanged herself last fall after a full grown adult cyberbullied her via a popular online social network.

I've read many articles about this case and I'm trying to keep up with its developments as best I can. An outcry from community members has the public calling for new laws to protect people from such actions.

The next step is to decide if the bully committed any sort of crime. There is no such law in place that dictates how such actions should be handled or if they should be handled at all. Perhaps it's time for some new laws. A St. Louis Post Dispatch article I read this morning points out that attempting to regulate an ever-growing technology is risky and potentially impossible.

The United States needs a new generation of lawmakers who are willing to hammer out the details of online harassment.

I'm interested to see how all of this will play out. This case may set a precedent for future cyberbullying.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
This blog is a companion piece to CCJN4394:Media Effects taught by Dr. J. Richard Stevens at Southern Methodist University.

Archives
August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / August 2008 /

Links
  • CCJN4394 Syllabus
  • Author login

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]